Social Media- It's a Funny Thing

Social Media is a funny thing. It can connect you with people all over the world. You can build relationships with other people you have never met. Some of my most supportive educator friends are people I have never met, or have only met once or twice. I can call them on the phone and talk about my day. We celebrate together. We cry together. When I was going through a really rough patch this year I was able to call on people that I met through social media to get through these tough times. I am grateful for social media and the relationships I have built.

Social Media can also be extremely confusing. I didn't start my Principal Teacher social media accounts until 2 years ago. When I first started this blog, along with my twitter and Instagram accounts,I was amazed how quickly my PLN grew. I was building relationships with some of the best and brightest educators out there. I was learning so much from them. 

But then I did something I never thought I would ever do. I feel into the social media trap of COMPARISON. I started comparing myself to other educators. I quickly lost sight of the strengths I have and forgot my natural gifts. I thought I needed to go to every conference. Be a part of every group. Be an expert on all things education. If I didn't live up to these unrealistic expectations then there was something wrong with me. I started questioning if I really was any good as an educator. It got so bad that I started to drive away other people. I burned bridges. Not intentionally of course. I still feel guilty about letting people down. I wanted to be everything to everyone, but  I was being nothing to everyone. I lost sight of who I was. I wasn't keeping my word, which is not like me, and it wasn't intentional. I committed to everything, but I wasn't really able to commit to anything.

For the last month or so I took a step back from my social media accounts. I posted once in a while, but I haven't been near as active as I usually am. I took this time and asked myself who am I as a person? What are my strengths as an educator? What is that I want to focus on? (which I had to remind myself it can't be everything).

It took me a long time to remember who I was, because I have compared myself to so many people for so long. I thought I wasn't good enough and I needed to be "fixed" that I seriously forgot my genuine self. 

So here it is. My name is Staci. I love people. I am a natural fixer. I want to help everyone anyway I can. I am full of energy. I go nonstop. I am silly. I don't take myself or life too seriously. I love to laugh. I love adventure. I love to travel and I am spontaneous. I am bold and go for what I want.  I am a teacher. I am actually a really great teacher. I am a rockstar when it comes to student growth. I have the scores to back it up.  I have a great work ethic when it is something I am passionate about. I don't like the mundane. I am a dreamer. I am one of the most resilient people you will meet. Let's sit down and talk about my life story and you will know why. I always pick myself up, dust myself off, and go back in head first. I am stubborn. I am loud.  I can be a little much for people. I am the life of the party. I love taking risks. I am ME.

Social media is a great tool to connect with other educators. Just don't fall into the trap that I fell into. Don't compare yourself to others. Know who you are and don't apologize for it. You are amazing. You are beautiful and you have unique gifts to offer others out there. Don't try to be like everyone else. BE YOU! 

1 comment:

  1. Love this post! Thank you! As I a began my journey on social media a little over a year ago I feel myself falling in to that trap at times. This is a good reminder.... just what I needed. I have been teaching for a long time and am currently looking for an admin position. I am torn because I love teaching. It is so nice to hear your story of being an administrator but still a teacher. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete