2018 One Word- Relationships and Committment

I tossed around a couple of ideas about what I wanted my one word for 2018 to be. I couldn't pick just one word so I picked two.  My "One" word for 2018 is Relationships and Commitment.


Visit Kayla on Twitter and Instagram at @topdogteaching or @happygoteach

This is one of my favorite quotes from Kayla Delzer of Top Dog Teaching. I have seen it several times before, but it really spoke to me this afternoon.

The Back Story
I lost my BIL in a horrible motorcycle accident in 2016. He was only 20 years old. He was so talented and confident and he was going places. His death shook me to my core. He had so much life to live. He was passionate and nothing was going to stop him from realizing his dreams. Several months after his death I vowed I would not waste a minute of my life. I was going to pursue my dreams and I was going to make them happen. Well...that's good and all but I tried to do it all in a year. I wanted to attend every conference, present at every conference, do a TedxTalk, write a book, etc. I wanted to do everything at the end of 2016 and most of 2017 that people spend YEARS working towards.

Some might be thinking, "Well, what's wrong with that? Sounds like she is just motivated and driven." While this is true, I risked relationships through the process. I had blinders on. I said yes to things that I wasn't even sure I could make happen. I often said, "I will figure it out." That works for a short time, but eventually it starts catching up with you. Some of the relationships I strained I was able to repair and some of these relationships I wasn't.  As I sit here and type this, I still have guilt over the fact I let people down. Our word is everything. It builds trusts and building trust is what leads to genuine relationships. When I had to back out of something because of my over commitment it broke down those relationships.

I have learned in 2017 that relationships are one of the things I value most and is something that we have to work hard to maintain. This means in 2018 I am only  committing to things that I know I can make happen.  I have committed to #kindness180 which you can read about here. I have committed to spreading awareness about live organ donation. (I was able to donate a kidney in September. Best decision I have ever made) I have also committed to writing ONE book. Other than that, I am going to continue to build and strengthen relationships with those around me.

2017 was definitely a learning experience, just like every year should be. Remember, opportunities are always going to be there. You don't have to do it all at once.Take time to follow your dreams but not at the risk of destroying relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment