Going back to the classroom

I am excited to share that I am going back to teaching! I am also excited to share that I will be teaching at the junior high! I taught 5th grade math for 10 years and I have always wanted to teach junior high but I never made the leap. I will be teaching 6th-8th math as an interventionist and I will also be an instructional coach.

This decision was not easy. I flip flopped many times before I made this decision. I absolutely love my current school. The teachers are wonderful and I love my daily hugs from the 1st-3rd graders. I love it when they tell me I look like a princess and smell like candy. I mean how can it get much better than that?  They sure do know how to make someone feel great about themselves! I love when the students come and find me to tell me what book they are reading or how they aced their math test. I also love the teachers I get to serve on a daily basis. They are some of the kindest and hardworking teachers you will find. They truly understand what it means to put kids first.

So why the change?

First, I have known that I wanted to teach since I was 6 years old. For the last 3 years as an AP I have yearned to teach. I miss it every day. I thought as each year went by it would get easier to not teach, but in reality it has only gotten harder.

Second, I have a strong passion for curriculum and instruction. I LOVE digging into the standards to see how we can creatively teach them to our students. I love creating new units and lesson that are fun and exciting. I love taking the standards that students hate the most and find ways to make it interesting. As an administrator I can do this to a certain level but not near as much as I would like due to all of the other responsibilities I have.

My new position will allow me to not only teach but it will also allows me to work with curriculum and instruction regularly.

Many people I have came across have a hard time understanding why I want to teach again. Some have said it is a step backwards or a step down. Others have also lovingly told people, who aren't me,  I must have messed up and was reassigned because why else would I take a pay cut? (heavy sarcasm on the word "lovingly").  I am taking a pay cut, but I am certainly not taking a step backwards or a step down. How can working with students ever be a step backwards or down? I am doing this because teaching and curriculum/instruction is where my heart is. It's what I have been passionate about since I was 6 years old. I have to follow my heart.

I am excited about my new role and I will miss my current campus terribly. However, I am also excited to get to know, work with, and learn from a whole new group of educators.

I also can't wait to share what I will be doing in my new classroom. I have already begun harassing my new principal about my new classroom and when I can get in. Yep I am one of those teachers. I own it! I am just so excited to start this new adventure! So here is to finishing this year strong and for new adventures next year!


1 comment:

  1. I’m doing the same thing after 9 years out of the classroom. I can do relate to your blog.

    ReplyDelete